Are you dissatisfied with your teeth? You may think you are unable to seek adult orthodontic treatment. In fact, many people assume that these solutions are dangerous or ineffective after their teenage years.
Our orthodontic experts at Maldonado Orthodontics debunk some of these myths. We help you understand the importance of investing in high-quality dental work. Learn your options so you can feel confident about your smile.
Factors To Consider
Contrary to popular belief, orthodontic treatments are suitable for patients of all ages. About four million people in the United States wear braces, 25% of whom are adults. Older age does not inherently disqualify you from orthodontic treatment, nor does it significantly impact the time it takes to correct your teeth.
However, you should consider three key factors that will determine the effectiveness of treatment at any age:
- Your oral health
- The type of treatment you decide to pursue
- How well you follow the Doctor’s orders
Let’s explore each of these factors in greater detail:
Everyone’s oral health is different. A combination of genetics, hygienic routines, and diet play a significant role in the overall health of your teeth and their roots. If you struggle with gum disease and/or tooth decay, an orthodontist may not provide treatment due to the risk of making your condition worse. Doing so could damage your teeth and/or gums, leading to significant bone loss, or invite infection.
Problems like these are usually more prevalent in adults than teenagers just due to the fact that as you get older, you tend to have more dental problems.
Your orthodontist can help you avoid risky procedures by appropriately diagnosing your current condition and developing a treatment plan. The three most common solutions at Maldonado Orthodontics for correcting crooked teeth are:
- Clear braces: Typically, clear braces provide the most predictable results. These conventional solutions attach to the surface of your teeth using fixed brackets and wires. Orthodontists will continue to tighten them over time, slowly and accurately correcting the symmetry of your smile. The brackets are made of ceramic which provides a less noticeable version of traditional metal braces. Even the wire that is used is less noticeable because it is made of rhodium, which means it is lighter in color.
- Clear Aligners: With the popularity of brands like Invisalign, many adults are investing in clear aligners to correct their smiles. These aligners eliminate the need for uncomfortable hardware and are removable during meals. These aligners must be worn a minimum of 20-22 hours per day. Clear aligners may not be appropriate for everyone, so ask your orthodontist about alternatives during your initial examination.
- Lingual braces: An orthodontist will fit these custom braces behind the teeth and completely out of view. This way, the hardware is completely invisible when you smile. Lingual braces correct most alignment problems, despite often being more expensive than traditional metal braces.
Following Instructions Given By Orthodontist
Follow your orthodontist’s instructions to ensure that your adult orthodontic treatment goes smoothly. Maintaining oral hygiene is one of the easiest ways to achieve a beautiful smile. Brushing regularly during treatment minimizes the risk of tooth decay and bleeding.
Additionally, if you use removable clear aligners, continue wearing them for as long as your orthodontist recommends. Failing to do so could result in complications or longer treatment times. Don’t be afraid to ask your orthodontist any questions you may have along the way.
These professionals will ensure that you have the right information throughout your treatment.
Contact Maldonado Orthodontics Today
Are you ready to correct your teeth and show the world your beautiful smile? At Maldonado Orthodontics, we’ll take the time to examine your oral health and provide ethical treatments. Our friendly staff will create a warm and welcoming space during every visit.
Partner with an orthodontist you can trust. We have years of experience helping hundreds of patients of all ages. We provide professional advice if you want to know more about adult braces.
Continue exploring our website to see which solutions we offer. Take some time to review our financing opinions and first-time patient forms before your visit.
Schedule an adult orthodontic treatment with Maldonado Orthodontics in Hammond, LA. Speak to a representative at 985-542-8719.